Man Utd ForumHomeGalleryRulesFAQSearchNew PostsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 My hard disk is fucked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: My hard disk is fucked   Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:29 pm

So today I came after my exams and see that my xp starts booting and then suddenly a blue fatal error screen appears for a second and then it starts rebooting. So i got my friends xp disk and tried to repair it but it says no hard disk detected. I tried installing ubuntu and the same thing once again.

Currently online using that Ubuntu disk's live version and I see no files. Is my hdd fucked? Should I call a guy or just tell dad comp is fucked and we need a new one as it's no point wasting money on an IDE hard disk.


The funny thing is I have a programming exam this friday lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Before booting, go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS detects the bloody hard drive. If it doesn't, then ti is pretty much fucked. That's what happened with mine. If you have to back up data or some shit from it, you may try and *physically* remove the bad hard-drive, install it again (physically) and start the computer and ask the BIOS to detect hard drives again and again, until it does. Then the comp will (should, once the HD is detected this way) boot, and you can backup any shit. And yes, ask for another computer. I'm guessing the hard drive is NOT under warranty. Of course in my case the hard drive had a read platter problem, the reader head scratched the platter over and over again, resulting in it's failure - it may be a different problem with yours, so the back-up option things may not work as they did for me.

When it happened with me, mine was under warranty, and Seagate replaced it good as new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Pujit

avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2010-04-22
Age : 26
Location : My fart will go on....

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

What he Said, and glad to know someone other than me uses an IDE Hard disk lol
Anyways i'm going this friday to the computer market to get a new one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Navpreet wrote:
Before booting, go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS detects the bloody hard drive. If it doesn't, then ti is pretty much fucked. That's what happened with mine. If you have to back up data or some shit from it, you may try and *physically* remove the bad hard-drive, install it again (physically) and start the computer and ask the BIOS to detect hard drives again and again, until it does. Then the comp will (should, once the HD is detected this way) boot, and you can backup any shit. And yes, ask for another computer. I'm guessing the hard drive is NOT under warranty. Of course in my case the hard drive had a read platter problem, the reader head scratched the platter over and over again, resulting in it's failure - it may be a different problem with yours, so the back-up option things may not work as they did for me.

When it happened with me, mine was under warranty, and Seagate replaced it good as new.


It's definitely detecting the disk. But now the problem is it's not booting ubuntu live so I'm using my 40gb one to boot the fucker. How do I get the backup or data shite if it detects? I have some important pics there but other than that all data is redownloadable (will take eons though).


How do I do the bolded part?

And it's under warranty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm

And yahoo messenger on linux? how do I get one? tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 pm

And a sort of consolation news for me. My 40gb hard disk has started working again. I'm going to install ubuntu there though....it's working like a charm even through the cd happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Pujit

avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2010-04-22
Age : 26
Location : My fart will go on....

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Rahul wrote:
And yahoo messenger on linux? how do I get one? tongue

Use the internet tongue Goto http://meebo.com it has almost all features of YIM except IMviroments and retarded audibles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Pujit wrote:
Rahul wrote:
And yahoo messenger on linux? how do I get one? tongue

Use the internet tongue Goto http://meebo.com it has almost all features of YIM except IMviroments and retarded audibles

Duh! I was already using it. It's crap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Rahul wrote:
And a sort of consolation news for me. My 40gb hard disk has started working again. I'm going to install ubuntu there though....it's working like a charm even through the cd happy

Told you Ubuntu is a life-saver in such travesties that happen sometimes with the computer. A remarkable diagnostic tool.


For that bold part in the other post, open your cabinet, touch a metal part inside it to get rid of static electricity from your hands. Then, locate the bad hard drive, and pull the two cords attached into it out. Remember the orientation of the cables - One would be an IDE Ribbon, for the data, and one would be a molex power cable. Then just reattach the cables again and reboot into the BIOS and see if it detects, and then try to boot into it.

No yahoo! messenger in linux. You may install pidgin, though, by running the following command in the terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install pidgin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:23 pm

What brand is the bad hard-drive? If it's under warranty, just locate a service center of that brands near yourself, and drop it off. It usually comes in a week or two, the replacement that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Pujit wrote:
What he Said, and glad to know someone other than me uses an IDE Hard disk lol
Anyways i'm going this friday to the computer market to get a new one.

Yeah, even I use an IDE hard-drive. The one that got replaced tongue But i was saved for those few weeks when it was away by my uncle's gift - a SATA Seagate hard-drive. tongue

Cool. What config you thinking of getting? happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Pujit

avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2010-04-22
Age : 26
Location : My fart will go on....

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Core i5 2.93Ghz, 1X2GB DDR3 ram (1333Mhz) ,AMD 1 Gig GFX card (haven't thought of it yet),
250GB HDD and i have the other things (monitor,sound system etc...)

Estimated kharcha for this is to be around 12-15k (Awesome,eh?) tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Pujit wrote:
Core i5 2.93Ghz, 1X2GB DDR3 ram (1333Mhz) ,AMD 1 Gig GFX card (haven't thought of it yet),
250GB HDD and i have the other things (monitor,sound system etc...)

Estimated kharcha for this is to be around 12-15k (Awesome,eh?) tongue

How can you get it so cheap with monitor, speakers et all?

What's the cost for i5? Go for a bit more RAM I suggest. Although DDR3 isn't exactly cheap I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Navpreet wrote:
Pujit wrote:
What he Said, and glad to know someone other than me uses an IDE Hard disk lol
Anyways i'm going this friday to the computer market to get a new one.

Yeah, even I use an IDE hard-drive. The one that got replaced tongue But i was saved for those few weeks when it was away by my uncle's gift - a SATA Seagate hard-drive. tongue

Cool. What config you thinking of getting? happy

Is there by any chance I can use a SATA hard drive on my current system? I have a one TB hard disk lying here brand new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Pujit wrote:
Core i5 2.93Ghz, 1X2GB DDR3 ram (1333Mhz) ,AMD 1 Gig GFX card (haven't thought of it yet),
250GB HDD and i have the other things (monitor,sound system etc...)

Estimated kharcha for this is to be around 12-15k (Awesome,eh?) tongue

Just 12-15k? Yup, that's cool. RAM can be increased though.

I have also just about finalized my laptop tongue AMD Gfx card, you mean ATI, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Navpreet wrote:
Rahul wrote:
And a sort of consolation news for me. My 40gb hard disk has started working again. I'm going to install ubuntu there though....it's working like a charm even through the cd happy

Told you Ubuntu is a life-saver in such travesties that happen sometimes with the computer. A remarkable diagnostic tool.


For that bold part in the other post, open your cabinet, touch a metal part inside it to get rid of static electricity from your hands. Then, locate the bad hard drive, and pull the two cords attached into it out. Remember the orientation of the cables - One would be an IDE Ribbon, for the data, and one would be a molex power cable. Then just reattach the cables again and reboot into the BIOS and see if it detects, and then try to boot into it.

No yahoo! messenger in linux. You may install pidgin, though, by running the following command in the terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install pidgin


I did all that multiple times. Guess what? That hdd now doesn't even boot the Ubuntu disk. So I've plugged in my 40GB older one which also doesn't work but Ubuntu live is working on it.


And what's this terminal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Rahul wrote:
Navpreet wrote:
Pujit wrote:
What he Said, and glad to know someone other than me uses an IDE Hard disk lol
Anyways i'm going this friday to the computer market to get a new one.

Yeah, even I use an IDE hard-drive. The one that got replaced tongue But i was saved for those few weeks when it was away by my uncle's gift - a SATA Seagate hard-drive. tongue

Cool. What config you thinking of getting? happy

Is there by any chance I can use a SATA hard drive on my current system? I have a one TB hard disk lying here brand new.

What motherboard do you have? Depends on that. You can, you will have to get a SATA data cable, and a Molex to SATA power adapter cable. That is, if you HAVE a SATA port on you motherboard.

What motherboard have you got?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Navpreet wrote:
What brand is the bad hard-drive? If it's under warranty, just locate a service center of that brands near yourself, and drop it off. It usually comes in a week or two, the replacement that is.

Seagate. Still under warranty. Checked their site with the serial number too. Says it's still in warranty. So can get it replaced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Rahul wrote:
Navpreet wrote:
Rahul wrote:
And a sort of consolation news for me. My 40gb hard disk has started working again. I'm going to install ubuntu there though....it's working like a charm even through the cd happy

Told you Ubuntu is a life-saver in such travesties that happen sometimes with the computer. A remarkable diagnostic tool.


For that bold part in the other post, open your cabinet, touch a metal part inside it to get rid of static electricity from your hands. Then, locate the bad hard drive, and pull the two cords attached into it out. Remember the orientation of the cables - One would be an IDE Ribbon, for the data, and one would be a molex power cable. Then just reattach the cables again and reboot into the BIOS and see if it detects, and then try to boot into it.

No yahoo! messenger in linux. You may install pidgin, though, by running the following command in the terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install pidgin


I did all that multiple times. Guess what? That hdd now doesn't even boot the Ubuntu disk. So I've plugged in my 40GB older one which also doesn't work but Ubuntu live is working on it.


And what's this terminal?

In the Ubuntu menu - Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal. Kind of a command prompt for Linux. But WAY more powerful than the Windows one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Rahul wrote:
Navpreet wrote:
What brand is the bad hard-drive? If it's under warranty, just locate a service center of that brands near yourself, and drop it off. It usually comes in a week or two, the replacement that is.

Seagate. Still under warranty. Checked their site with the serial number too. Says it's still in warranty. So can get it replaced.

Definitely. Do it. happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Navpreet wrote:


Just 12-15k? Yup, that's cool. RAM can be increased though.

I have also just about finalized my laptop tongue AMD Gfx card, you mean ATI, right?

I might want to get a new one similar to this if it's only around 15k. But then I don't think I'll hold out for a shite model this time so might as well splash 30k+ and get something which lasts for a longer time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Rahul wrote:
Navpreet wrote:


Just 12-15k? Yup, that's cool. RAM can be increased though.

I have also just about finalized my laptop tongue AMD Gfx card, you mean ATI, right?

I might want to get a new one similar to this if it's only around 15k. But then I don't think I'll hold out for a shite model this time so might as well splash 30k+ and get something which lasts for a longer time.

That's what I am planning to do with my notebook. Splash it once. I am keeping the irreplaceable things of a laptop to the max possible in an affordable price tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Navpreet wrote:


Is there by any chance I can use a SATA hard drive on my current system? I have a one TB hard disk lying here brand new.

What motherboard do you have? Depends on that. You can, you will have to get a SATA data cable, and a Molex to SATA power adapter cable. That is, if you HAVE a SATA port on you motherboard.

What motherboard have you got?[/quote]

It definitely doesn't have a SATA port. It's Intel. 2.66Ghz something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Navpreet wrote:


That's what I am planning to do with my notebook. Splash it once. I am keeping the irreplaceable things of a laptop to the max possible in an affordable price tongue

How much are you getting it for? I might be tempted into going for laptops if they are cheap these days. Can take it college with me being into IT and stuff tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 pm

And pidgin's getting downloaded happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Rahul wrote:

It definitely doesn't have a SATA port. It's Intel. 2.66Ghz something.

I didnt ask for the processor, I asked for the motherboard. My processor is a Intel 2,66 Ghz Pentium 4, but My motherboard had a SATA port.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

And net works super quick on linux. I'm tempted to make a permanent switch tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Navpreet wrote:
Rahul wrote:

It definitely doesn't have a SATA port. It's Intel. 2.66Ghz something.

I didnt ask for the processor, I asked for the motherboard. My processor is a Intel 2,66 Ghz Pentium 4, but My motherboard had a SATA port.

oh yes. The motherboard is also from Intel. I don't know why I added the gigahertz tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

avatar

Posts : 2269
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 26
Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Rahul wrote:
Navpreet wrote:


That's what I am planning to do with my notebook. Splash it once. I am keeping the irreplaceable things of a laptop to the max possible in an affordable price tongue

How much are you getting it for? I might be tempted into going for laptops if they are cheap these days. Can take it college with me being into IT and stuff tongue

About 50-60k.

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6 Ghz (Upto 2.3 Ghz with TurboBoost), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD (7200 rpm), 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility 5470

All in a Dell Studio 15 Laptop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying


Posts : 6147
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 27
Location : shekshy shekshy

PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Navpreet wrote:


About 50-60k.

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6 Ghz (Upto 2.3 Ghz with TurboBoost), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD (7200 rpm), 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility 5470

All in a Dell Studio 15 Laptop.

I'll drop the plan. No fucking way for me to get so much for a comp when all they do is tell me that I have nothing else to do except being on a comp tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.joinmust.org/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My hard disk is fucked   

Back to top Go down
 

My hard disk is fucked

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum  :: Non Football :: Devil Gang Lounge-
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com